Sunday, September 17, 2006

What did Jesus say?

This is one of my favorite gospel anomalies:

Mark records, "Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. 'Abba, Father', he said, 'everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.'" Mark 14:36

In the gospel of John, Jesus says, "now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? 'Father save me from this hour'? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour" John 12:27

Its like John was correcting or even chastising Mark for portraying Jesus in such a poor light.

It's also interesting to note that at Jesus' death Mark records him saying, "My God, my God why have you forsaken me?" and then states, "with a loud cry, Jesus breathed his last".

But John simply has Jesus say, "It is finished" and then records, "with that he bowed his head and gave up his spirit".

No feelings of forsakeness, or loud cries are allowed in Johns polished account of Jesus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home